* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
BILLINGSLEY would have finished soundly beaten had he completed on his chasing debut at Bangor last November, but he hasn’t looked back since that unfortunate start to his career over fences. He really impressed with his jumping when getting off the mark in this sphere at Hereford in December, looking right at home when the mud is flying. He then supplemented that with another victory at Haydock the following month, showing a good attitude to hold off a well-treated rival.
He completed the hat-trick at Newbury in February, showing further improvement and doing well to sustain such a good pace under the conditions. A 7lbs rise for that win looks fair, and with further improvement anticipated, he is expected to be bang there.
WILD MAX was unlucky not to finish closer than he did when fourth on his reappearance in October, travelling well when badly hampered two out at this venue. But, he made amends in no uncertain terms at Huntingdon last month, impressing again with how he travelled through the race. He tanked along before pulling alongside the leader two out, driven out to win by a neck.
He left the impression that he is probably further ahead of his mark than the winning distance suggests, and given he remains with the potential for better still, a 6lbs rise might not be enough to stop him following up.
- CHECK OUT OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN GET ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
The extra place on offer makes this an interesting betting prospect and GIVE ME A COPPER looks a decent enough price for a confident each-way bet. Despite his age, Paul Nicholls’s charge remains lightly-raced, having just eleven runs under Rules to his name – seven of those over fences.
He has an 11-month absence to overcome, but he has gone well fresh in the past. That was demonstrated by his win in the Badger Beers Silver Trophy Handicap Chase at Wincanton just over a year ago, his jumping on that occasion holding up particularly well.
He wasn’t in the same form at Ascot last December, finishing mid-field in the Silver Cup Handicap Chase. However, he has undergone a wind operation since then and he commands plenty of respect for the in-form Nicholls yard. He is clearly fragile, but has plenty of ability, and holds every chance if ready to roll.
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: All you need to know about the MILLION quid New Year’s Day giveaway
- Paddy Power Millionaire Chase qualifier tips: Frank Hickey and Ruby Walsh’s selections
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s Saturday 7 for ITV Races
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 7 best bets for Saturday’s ITV races
- Cheltenham tips: Timeform’s 7 slick picks for Saturday’s racing
- Paddy’s Jargon Buster – A guide to Horse Racing terms