*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
You’ll probably hear a lot of talk about the Prestbury Cup during the Cheltenham Festival but what exactly is it? Well, we’re here to explain everything you need to know.
Quite simply, the Prestbury Cup is a battle between Great Britain and Ireland to rack up the most winners over the course of the four-day meeting. There are 28 renewals at the Cheltenham Festival 2022 and it’s a point per victory so the contest runs until either country has landed 15 winners. If it ends with 14 winners apiece then it’s a tie.
But that’s unlikely…
… because Ireland are defending the Prestbury Cup after routing Great Britain by 23 winners to five at last year’s Cheltenham Festival, the most one-sided result since the contest was first held in 2014. The likes of Honeysuckle, Put The Kettle On, Allaho, Flooring Porter and Minella Indo were among the big winners during a wicked week for the travelling contingent.
It’s therefore pretty unsurprising that 12 months later, the Irish are red-hot favourites in Paddy’s Prestbury Cup betting market to retain the trophy, especially as Willie Mullins, Gordon Elliott and Henry de Bromhead once again boast strong stables.
WELCOME TO PADDY POWER NEWS!
The Brits’ hammering at last year’s fiesta prompted tweaks to the handicapping system but the home team are rank outsiders to win the Prestbury Cup. Sorry, lads. They could get off to a quick start on day one, however, with Nicky Henderson pair Constitution Hill and Jonbon fancied for the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle, while Alan King’s Edwardstone heads Paddy’s betting for the Arkle Chase.
You’re probably wondering if there’s an actual trophy, right? There is! And it’s presented to the jockeys and trainers from the winning country. The successful team will take home more just than a bit of silverware as the Prestbury Cup – named after the village located slap bang next to Cheltenham Racecourse – is actually sealed with some turf from the Cheltenham track.
Prestbury Cup 2022 odds
Prestbury Cup 2022 score
Great Britain – 10
Ireland – 11
*after day three
Prestbury Cup results
2021: Ireland – 23 wins
2020: Ireland – 17 wins
2019: Tie – 14 wins
2018: Ireland – 17 wins
2017: Ireland – 19 wins
2016: Ireland – 15 wins
2015: Great Britain – 14 wins
2014: Great Britain – 15 wins
- Like Paddy Power News? Or maybe you just like to whinge? Tell us what you think in our reader survey
Cheltenham Day 4 Tips
- Cheltenham Tips: Day 4 best bets from Gina Bryce for Gold Cup Friday
- Cheltenham Tips: Frank Hickey final day fancies at Cheltenham 2022
- Cheltenham Tips: Ruby Walsh’s cheat sheet for day four at Cheltenham 2022
- Cheltenham Tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s 7 picks for the final day of Cheltenham 2022
- Cheltenham Tips: Matt Chapman’s Cheltenham Festival day 4 best bets
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest racing tips
- Cheltenham Festival 2022 day-by-day schedule and guide to the big races
- Tiger Roll: How much prize money has Cheltenham & Grand National hero won in his career?
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Preview Show: All the best betting tips and insights for 2022 Festival