* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
17:00 Dundalk – Zahee
The opening contest is a claiming race and a big field goes to post. There’s a couple in here with chances but despite the draw, I’m sticking with Zahee, ridden by the brilliant Colin Keane for trainer Adrian McGuinness. Connections won the opening race at Dundalk a couple of weeks ago and will expect to go close again.
Zahee ran very well over and extended trip on his return to action last time when taking a keen hold early in the race. Despite this, he was in with every chance at the business end when fading late on and will have come on from that run. A step back down in trip will help and with a clear run should go close.
19:00 Dundalk – Fil The Power
Very competitive maiden and Fil The Power is an interesting runner. Ran a good race to finish off last season when second at the Curragh. Also has an eye-catching line of form at Fairyhouse last October. Still a maiden but is racing much calmer waters now on reappearance.
Up and coming star Sam Ewing takes off 5Ib and the trip is also ideal. A tricky race but jockey booking stand out and connections are leaving nothing to chance. Expect a late finish from Fil The Power.
19:30 Dundalk – Messidor
A Listed contest which was won last year by the Joseph O’Brien trained Crossfirehurricane. The trainer has a couple of entries for this year’s renewal most notably Messidor. She finished off last season in brilliant form with back-to-back wins at Dundalk.
No surprise to see really as she was very impressive on debut at Leopardstown and is held in high regard obviously by connections with entries in both the English & Irish 1,000 Guineas. Has a class and experience edge over her rivals and nothing short of an impressive victory will do, if she is to take up lofty entries later in the season.
20:30 Dundalk – Rock The Barzah
The lucky last on the card and the selection is the lightly-raced Rock The Barzah who could be much better than her form suggests. She caught the eye last time when running much better than her final position indicated and on breeding alone stands out in this contest which is her first handicap start.
This is a weak handicap and Rock The Barzah has been well placed by trainer Joseph O’Brien. Jockey Mikey Sheehy is booked to ride taking 5lb off and it’s worth noting that this trainer/jockey combo won this race last year.
Dundalk betting tips:
17:00 – Zahee
19:00 – Fil the Power
19:30 – Messidor
20:30 – Rock the Barzah
- Cheltenham Festival: Ruby Walsh names the horse he would love to ride at 2021 Festival
- Cheltenham tips: National Hunt Chase antepost best bets from Ruby Walsh
- Cheltenham tips: Mares’ Novice Hurdle antepost picks from Frank Hickey
- Cheltenham tips: Champion Bumper antepost pick revealed by Ruby Walsh
- Cheltenham Festival: Dates, race times and antepost tips from our experts
- Cheltenham tips: Mares’ Hurdle antepost picks from Frank Hickey
- Cheltenahm Festival: Gold Cup or National Hunt Chase for Royale Pagaille?