*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
Euro 96. Gareth Southgate’s weak penalty against Germany. One of the most iconic moments in English sporting history for all the wrong reasons.
The defender-turned-manager’s probably been reminded of his shocking spot-kick every day for the past 25 years – poor bloke – but a quarter of a century on he has a chance to exorcise the demons with his exciting crop of England players.
And they’ll have home advantage for their Group D fixtures against Croatia, Scotland and the Czech Republic while Wembley Stadium hogs all the limelight with the semi-finals and final.
It was the setting for Southgate’s infamous miss and could play host to another significant milestone if England go all the way.
It’s worth remembering the Three Lions have never beaten Germany in a penalty shootout. The Euro 96 exit came six years after West Germany got the better of Gary Lineker and co at the 1990 World Cup.
So doing Germany on penalties in a major tournament final has to be the dream for the English – and Southgate. It’d be nail biting, sure, but just think of the drama and the memes.
And you could be in the money if such an unlikely thing were to happen. Uncle Paddy is offering odds of 400/1 that England beat Germany in this year’s European Championship final on penalties. Woof!
Our top traders have priced up a whole host of #WhatOddsPaddy specials for UEFA Euro 2020. You can check out the full range by clicking HERE.
Read More on Euro 2021
- Euro 2021 tips: Who to back – and avoid – to be tournament’s top goalscorer
- Euro 2021 tips: Who to back – and avoid – at this summer’s tournament
- Euro 2021 tips: Who to back – and avoid – to be Young Player of the Tournament
- Euro 2021 dates, fixtures and group details
- Who will win Euro 2021? Our expert’s top tournament tips
- England favourites to end 55 years of hurt by winning Euro 2021