You thought that just because the European Championships were on that Stupid Punt would take a break? Not a chance. We know that people are trying to get into the Punting Hall of Fame like this Northern Irish punter but sometimes even we’re stumped.
This Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. Here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Big Euros book this week – a book England can’t read anymore LOL BANTER.
Wales to win 4-3
A 500/1 correct score bet has seen a lot of money placed
- One punter from Swansea has thrown £23 on the score
- Northern Ireland scored just twice in their three group games – the joint lowest of any side in the last 16
- There’s never been seven goals in a match between the two – the closest we’ve got was a 5-1 win for the Welsh in 1961
McAuley to score first and Northern Ireland to win 4-0
A 3000/1 shot and one punter is trying to echo this genius
- We’ve only taken £2 on the bet and of course it’s come from the North – County Down to be precise
- The Green and White Army have scored four goals in a match only four times in the last 16 years
- Michael McGovern made 16 saves during the groups – only the Icelandic keeper blocked more
Bale to score first and Wales to win 5-0
A 600/1 shot for three Paddy customers
- Wales have only lost three games in six years which Bale has scored
- But they’ve only scored five twice since 2007 – against Liechtenstein and Slovakia
- It’s been 16 years since a knockout match in the Euros was won by five or more – Netherlands 6-1 Yugoslavia in 2000