Saturday lunchtime sees the visit of Manchester United to Goodison Park to take on Everton in what could be a very telling fixture.
Everton started the season brightly with four wins from four before THAT 2-2 draw in the first Merseyside derby of the season, where they fared well and made a decent account of themselves given their poor recent record against their neighbours. New signings James Rodriguez, Allan and leading goalscorer Dominic Calvert-Lewin have all been positives for the Toffees this year but they have slumped to two poor results of late, with a very disappointing loss away at Newcastle last time out.
United, on the other hand, seem to be a Jekyll and Hyde team going from the sublime to the ridiculous, and if we are being honest the ridiculous certainly outweighs the sublime. Ole’s men had the night of nights at the start of the Champions League – beating PSG away and thrashing in-form RB Leipzig 5-0. That said, those wins were bookended by an embarrassing 6-1 home defeat to former manager Jose Mourinho’s Spurs and a drab performance midweek away at Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir.
If United lose this fixture in a similar manner to either display mentioned above we may see the end of Ole at the wheel. At the time of writing the odds suggest the visitors have a 40% chance, Everton 33% and the draw at 27%, and I think this is just about spot on. United deserve favouritism here, but an upset is certainly not to be written off.
Everton’s two key factors are star man James who missed last week’s loss through injury and is expected to start this game, and the goalkeeping situation with Jordan Pickford being such a liability of late. Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that he will start this game, despite dropping him at Newcastle last weekend.
Man Utd will likely start with attacking options of Anthony Martial, Bruno Fernandes, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford. Their defensive frailties will continue to be exposed should James get the chance to shine a light on them.
Over 3.5 goals in the match
United have won their last six away Premier League games, scoring 17 in the process. Everton have only lost one of their last 15 top-flight home matches and there have been three or more goals in their last four at Goodison to boot.
This all points us in the direction of a high scoring draw or tight win fixture.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin to have 2 or more shots on target
We will stick with inform goalscorer Calvert-Lewin to pepper the United goalkeeper during the 90 minutes. He’s joint-top of the Golden Boot race with Son Heung-Min so far on eight goals.
Allan to been booked
The Brazilian has helped make Everton’s midfield more sold, but he’s already been booked in a third of the Toffees’ matches, with two in six games to date.
*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while in-copy odds are accurate at time of publication but subject to change
- Paddy’s Acca Insurance is NOT available with the above selections. Acca insurance – where your stake is refunded (up to £/€10) as a free bet – is only applicable in Same Game Multis or accumulators with a minimum of FOUR legs.
- Our top trader’s 9/1 treble for Saturday’s Premier League action
- Goals galore in our 28/1 Championship acca for Saturday
- Check out this 35/1 four-fold for the FA Cup first-round
- Haaland to be on song, but Bayern to have last laugh against Dortmund
- Mitro’s on fire, but is it enough for Fulham to beat West Ham?
- Chelsea to blunt the Blues in routine win at Stamford Bridge
- Leeds can Klich into gear at Palace thanks to midfield man
- PHIL THOMPSON: My verdict on Man Utd and Chelsea’s Saturday fixtures
- Pochettino awaiting feedback from televised Man Utd job interview
- Have Zlat! Awesome Ibrahimovic helps football punter score £2k from just £2 stake
- Mesut Ozil Delivers Hologram Of Himself To Old Trafford For Arsenal Game