Last night’s opening session at the Breeders’ Cup will certainly live long in the memory. The eventual winner of the last race – Modern Games – was in, out and then in again, before he shook it all about to win in some style.
The confusion arose after Modern Games was ‘scratched’ in error from the race when leaving the front of the stalls after stablemate Albahr reared up in the stalls, forcing a lengthy delay. When order was restored, Modern Games took his place in the line-up and promptly bolted in!
NEW TO PADDY POWER?
However, that presented a dilemma to punters … and bookmakers. Modern Games’ ‘win’ wasn’t recognised on track at Del Mar because he was ‘scratched’ from the field (in error), so there was no odds returned as they past the post. So, for on-course betting purposes, the runner-up Tiz The Bomb was paid out as the ‘winner’.
But true to form, our fearless leader couldn’t let that nonsense stand and Paddy is paying out on Modern Games and Tiz The Bomb both as winners. He’s also put his hand into his pocket to pay out on them in the each way markets and waived the Rule 4 deduction on the second past the post. Huzzah!
And given the Breeders’ Cup is such a global event and some markets were formed many weeks ago, all ante-post bets are being honoured also! Paddy can’t say fairer than that as we head into day two at Del Mar on Saturday night.
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest racing tips
- Horse Racing tips: Ruby Walsh’s 6 sweet picks for Del Mar on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Jason Weaver’s 6 to shine at the Breeders’ Cup on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s 7 to shine in Saturday’s ITV races
- Horse Racing tips: Paul Jacobs’ 5 value plays across the tracks on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Through the Saturday card at Aintree with Timeform
- Horse Racing tips: Timeform’s 3 things to watch for at Aintree on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s 10 to follow for the 2021/22 jumps season
- Horse Racing tips: Paul Jacobs’ 10 National Hunt horses to get in your tracker
- Horse Racing tips: Paddy Power’s 10 Irish National Hunt horses to follow this season
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 10 to follow for the 2021/22 National Hunt season