Nicky Henderson has a good record in this novice hurdle – he has won five of the last ten runnings, including with Altior – and he holds outstanding claims again this year with Broomfield Burg, who has progressed with each start for the yard. Broomfield Burg looked a bit tricky when finishing runner-up in a Cheltenham handicap a couple of weeks ago, failing to go by after looming up menacingly, but that form is by far the best on offer and a similar showing will make him tough to beat. He is at least 13 lb clear of his rivals on Timeform’s weight-adjusted ratings.
Danny Kirwan looks the part for chasing and he made a promising start over fences at Cheltenham in October, finishing runner-up in a race that has worked out well. Danny Kirwan underachieved over hurdles bearing in mind how promising he had looked in bumpers but his effort at Cheltenham offers hope he can do better in this sphere. His two wins over hurdles were achieved at Ascot and Wincanton, so the return to this right-handed track should suit, while he’s not always been a strong finisher, so this flatter track should also be in his favour.
WELCOME TO PADDY POWER NEWS!
This is a fascinating clash between Ahoy Senor and Bravemansgame, two of the best novice chasers we have seen so far this season. Bravemansgame had to settle for second behind that rival when they met in the Grade 1 Sefton Novices’ Hurdle last season but he has taken superbly to chasing and can turn the tables here. He has jumped impeccably on his two starts over fences and was especially impressive on his latest start at Haydock, where he brushed aside a smart and experienced rival in the shape of Itchy Feet.
Epatante suffered a shock defeat in this race 12 months ago but she can regain the crown she took in 2019. Epatante had to settle for a share of the spoils with Not So Sleepy on her seasonal reappearance in the Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle last month, but she would have been unsuited by the testing conditions there that blunted her speed. This is a more suitable test for a mare with such a good cruising speed and she can prove too quick for her rivals.
GET FAST RESULTS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE
- LIKE PADDY POWER NEWS? OR MAYBE YOU JUST LIKE TO WHINGE? TELL US WHAT YOU THINK IN OUR READER SURVEY
Minella Indo shaped as if in need of the run when a five-length third to Frodon in the Champion Chase at Down Royal in October and he should be much closer to peak form with that outing under his belt and cheekpieces applied to help sharpen him up. His length-and-a-quarter defeat of stablemate A Plus Tard in the Cheltenham Gold Cup last season represents the best form on offer by some margin – he is 4 lb clear on Timeform’s figures – and that marks him out as the one to beat.
An Tailliur is one of the most progressive hurdlers around and has won his last six completed starts. This is the toughest test he has faced but the way he won at Taunton last time suggests that he’s not stopped improving yet. He won by only a neck at Taunton but he did well to prevail there having been held up in a steadily-run race, and he can have that form marked up.
Timeform Kempton Park Tips
Boxing Day Tips
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest racing tips
- Boxing day horse racing tips: Your ITV Racing Cheat Sheet for a massive day of action
- Matt Chapman horse racing tips: The best bets for ITV Racing on Boxing Day
- Mick Fitzgerald horse racing tips: 6 punchy picks at Kempton Park on Boxing Day
- Ruby Walsh horse racing tips: 4 fab St Stephen’s Day best bets in Ireland
- Ruby Walsh horse racing tips: His punts are picked for Kempton’s big 3 Boxing Day races
- Paul Jacobs horse racing tips: 3 can’t miss plays for Boxing Day
- Paddy Power horse racing tips: 7 Sunday best bets in the UK & Ireland
- Fran Berry horse racing tips: 6 best bets at Kempton, Limerick & Leopardstown on Sunday
- Traders racing NAPs: 6 nifty picks for Sunday’s meetings
- King George VI Chase: A runner-by-runner guide to the 9 Kempton contenders
- Christmas racing tips: Timeform’s 5 to thrive at the holiday festivals
- Cheltenham tips: Frank Hickey’s ‘left field’ shout to challenge Honeysuckle
Cheltenham Betting: Honeysuckle hardens in Champion Hurdle market for repeat win at 2022 Festival
- Cheltenham Festival: Energumene is on the scene in Champion Chase shake-up
- Cheltenham Festival: Blazing Khal has Paddy on the run in the Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle