Making his handicap debut after 10 months off, PEERLESS PERCY looked a little rough around the edges at Hamilton last month – showing greenness but keeping on well to take third in the final furlong.
He improved further with the emphasis more on stamina over this course and distance last time, and he probably would have won had he been more clued up. He ended up hanging left inside and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory inside the final furlong.
That must go down as an opportunity missed, but he is clearly open to further improvement and can make amends from just 1lb higher.
After a couple of disappointing efforts following a promising reappearance, ONE HART was strong in the betting at Wolverhampton on his latest outing.
He duly repaid his supporters, bouncing back to his best as he scored for the first time since his second career start, finding it much easier having been dropped markedly in grade.
Admittedly he was seen to good effect from the front that day, but he did hang left entering the final furlong, so is probably value for a little more than the winning distance suggests. When you consider the horse he beat into second has gone in subsequently, he makes plenty of appeal kept at this level.
A course-and-distance winner here around this time last year, BASHIBA has dropped a fair way in the weights since then and has shown signs of late that he could be on his way back to form.
He shaped well when fifth at Haydock last month, not seen to best effect after being held up in a race that did not pay to be off the pace, and he looks worth taking a chance on at what could well be a double-figure price.
* Prices on our snazzy new bet widget are bang up to date.
- Grab racing previews from the UK, Ireland and the rest of the globe here
- Placing bets is easier than ever with Paddy Power News’ live odds banners
- Horse Racing tips: Brendan Duke’s 4 punts to follow at Ballinrobe and York on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Our 3 punchy picks at ParisLongchamp on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Our traders reveal their NAPs for the weekend’s action