Sebastopol is up there with the favourites having won at the track last February and you can in that his trainer Tom Lacey has a very good record here. Jonathan Burke makes his comeback in the saddle for him too, which bodes well. He is not the most straightforward horse though, as he can race awkwardly.
I like ELF DE RE back over the smaller obstacles as he did not jump very well in his two starts over fences for Sandy Thomson. But, he could still be reasonably well handicapped now that he is going back over hurdles.
Miranda should be the frontrunner in the betting for Paul Nicholls and she was second at the track last February. This horse is now 10lbs higher on the back of a good win at Ludlow last time, which will make life more difficult. But, she still has to be on the shortlist.
Rosie And Millie is another I am keen on, she has been running very well in better races and has to rate as a danger at a track that would really suit her. I am really tempted by her, but the form of the Dan Skelton stable draws me to their horse PROSCHEMA. This one was heavily backed for the Greatwood Handicap Hurdle at Cheltenham in November when disappointing. The colt will be much happier on this ground and on a flat track.
- CHECK OUT OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN GET ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
It’s lovely to see the dual Cheltenham Gold Cup winner AL BOUM PHOTO running here at the Co Waterford track and the Willie Mullins gelding will win this contest with Paul Townend on board barring an accident.
I was very impressed with the win of RETURN TICKET at the track last time late in November and this one has to be on the shortlist as the ground will not matter to him. This son of Getaway looks the real deal having had a wind op.
However Cool Mix has run in some good races and the trip at Newcastle last time was just too far. I feel this horse will be much happier at this trip, but Return Ticket gets the nod. Happy New Year to you all!
* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
- Paddy Power Millionaire Chase: Cheltenham’s New Year’s Day meet abandoned – what happens now
- Cheltenham 2021: Clues & Questions for the Festival from the Christmas period
- Paddy’s literally all over racing on the telly thanks to our new ITV sponsorship