* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
Sunday 16:30 – Chelsea v Manchester City
Sky Sports Main Event / Sky Sports Premier League
Things were not too good for Chelsea at the start of the season, then Frank Lampard found a formula that started a winning streak for The Blues and it seemed as if everything was going to be rosy for them. All of their signings looked to be gelling for them and now, it’s all fallen apart for Lampard and Chelsea again. So, it’s up to Frank and his coaching staff to get Chelsea back on track again.
I’m looking at some of their players and I reckon they lack a bit of belief. Frank tried Olivier Giroud up front, then he went with Tammy Abraham and it’s just not happening for any of them. Chelsea may be unbeaten at home in 11 games in all competitions, but they’ve only won one of their last five in the Premier League. That’s not good for a club of their size and that makes this a massive game for Chelsea.
For Man City, this was the game (Chelsea at Stamford Bridge) that effectively handed Liverpool the title last season. But, City seem a lot more themselves at the moment. That are probably not scoring enough for Pep Guardiola’s liking, but defensively they are much better. They’ve only conceded 12 goals in the Premier League, which is the best record in the division.
Thommo’s Tip: It’s very hard for me to split these two, to be honest. Chelsea must respond to their recent poor form, but I don’t think they can beat City and I reckon we’ll get a high scoring draw here. Look for a 2-2 draw in this one, despite City’s defensive strengths.
Thommo’s Tips: As for who is going to score, Kevin De Bruyne seems to be absolutely due a goal for City. You have to remember he’s on free-kicks and penalties for Guardiola’s side too. I’ll add Raheem Sterling into the mix too for a goal.
Thommo’s Tip: It’s harder to find someone to pick to hit the net for Chelsea. My sneaking suspicion, who’ll be available at a good price, is Christian Pulisic. I can’t pick Abraham or Giroud because I’m not sure who Lampard will start up front, so I’ll go for the American.
SUNDAY’S BEST BETS
- PHIL THOMPSON: Vardy to strike as Leicester face Newcastle
- Pulisic can be Chelsea’s hero in 22/1 Bet Builder v Man City
- Paddy’s 15/1 acca for today’s European footy
- Paddy Power Millionaire Chase: Cheltenham’s New Year’s Day meet abandoned – what happens now
- New Year’s tips: Our trader’s super 76/1 sporting prediction treble for 2021
- And the winner is… It’s Paddy Power’s 2020 Football Awards
- Paddy’s literally all over racing on the telly thanks to our new ITV sponsorship