The clock is ticking down to the 2023 Cheltenham Festival and the cream of the crop in the UK and Ireland are getting ready to prove their worth at jump racing’s mecca.
One man who knows a thing or two about riding winners at Prestbury Park is Paddy’s pal Ruby Walsh, who teamed up with top trainers Paul Nicholls & Willie Mullins numerous times at the Festival before retiring in 2019.
Ruby was a guest on the latest ‘Punters Panel’ From The Horse’s Mouth Podcast special, and one listener grilled the 59-time Cheltenham winner on which entries he would fancy this year if he was still donning the silks.
LISTEN TO THE SHOW IN FULL BELOW!
- WELCOME TO PP NEWS: NEW TO US? CLICK HERE FOR OUR £/€20 SIGN-UP OFFER
So, take it away, Ruby…
“I was just looking earlier and I’ve not got through them all yet,” he said. “I’d probably be looking in the County Hurdle and you’ve got Sharjah at 155, I’d definitely be interested in that.
“Winter Fog’s got too much weight, Saint Sam wouldn’t be for me, Scaramanga and Icare Allen want to go further. As long Tekao goes in the Boodles Juvenile Hurdle, I wouldn’t mind riding him.
“I think, for a handicap, the one I would really like if it ran in the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockey’s race is the Gordon Elliott Three Card Brag.
“He hammered Spanish Harlem, beat him by 12 lengths at Fairyhouse, and is now rated 142.
“There’s only 7lbs between them in rating now and I’d say Spanish Harlem needs more than 7lbs to beat him if they both face off in this contest.”
STUDY THE FORM & GET ALL THE RESULTS
- CHECK OUT OUR SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY RACE, EVERY DAY
- WE HAVE ALL THE HORSE RACING FAST RESULTS YOU’LL EVER WANT
- Get all the latest Horse Racing News and Racing Tips at Paddy Power News
- Cheltenham Tips: Rory Delargy’s Lucky 15 tips for Cheltenham 2023
- Cheltenham Festival: Paddy Power’s Day-by-Day Cheltenham 2023 Race Guide