*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
We’ve a stacked card of Premier League action on the first Sunday of the year as the relegation-threatened and mid-table squabblers get down to business at 2pm before the wannabe title-contenders Chelsea and Liverpool take centre stage in the Super Sunday 4.30pm kick-off.
WELOME TO PADDY POWER NEWS!
We were due to have four matches all kicking off at 2pm but Southampton v Newcastle has since been postponed. So, instead of a dishy four-fold acca we’ve got a treble to get stuck into instead.
- Like Paddy Power News? Or maybe you just like to whinge? Tell us what you think in our reader survey
TV: Sky Sports Premier League
Or as it’s known to you and me away from the betting markets – Villa to keep a clean sheet. Steven Gerrard’s biggest achievement at Rangers wasn’t making them competitive again, it was making them consistent and trustworthy. The hallmark of that was clean sheets against bad teams, and we’re seeing that early doors at Villa now.
A 2-0 win over Brighton, a 2-0 win over Norwich and a 95th-minute consolation at Palace suggests we’re seeing the same. Given Brentford have fired blanks in their last two games, I like the look of this here.
If we discounted goals conceded in the last five minutes of halves, Brighton’s only losses this year would have come to Man City and, well, Everton.
But that’s a very different time and place. Everton are in freefall and look sure to move on from Rafa Benitez. Brighton’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea is a great festive boost to them and I don’t really see any situation in which Brighton leave Liverpool pointless.
One of these teams has lost their last three games while the other has lost just once since October 17th. It’s a bit of a wild season for Burnley and their lowly league position comes with a huge asterisk pointing out that their five games in hand on Man City could see them put a better title fight than Liverpool, rather trying to claw themselves away from Newcastle and co.
Once they get some games under their belt – and they will have by the time this kicks off – I think they’re good for a point.
Premier League betting tips
Sunday 2pm treble
* A Bet Builder treble of these 3 bets pays at approximately 6/1 with Paddy Power. CLICK HERE TO ADD IT TO YOUR BETSLIP.
New Year’s football tips
- Premier League tips: Paddy Power’s betting guide to the New Year’s fixtures
- Chelsea v Liverpool tips: We’re backing the draw in this 22/1 Bet Builder
- Chelsea v Liverpool tips: Our 34/1 Bet Builder for your Bet £5 Get £5 punt
- Need team news to complete your Bet Builder? Well, now Paddy’s got you covered
- B*llend d’Or 2021: Paddy Power’s end of year football awards
- January transfer window 2022: When does it open and close for Premier League clubs?