Now, Paddy Power have been stung before by long shot winners. Quite a lot as you can see from our Punting Hall of Fame section here. But some weeks we see bets that are just too crazy to ignore.
This Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. Here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are some of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Champions League book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Cristiano Ronaldo to score first and Real Madrid to win 5-0
One Dublin punter has backed this at odds of 800/1
- CR7 has only scored three times in his last nine games against Atleti
- Atleti haven’t conceded five goals in a match since 2011
- There has never been a 5-0 scoreline in a European Cup/Champions League final
- There has never been a 5-0 in the European Cup
Atletico Madrid to win 5-2
EIGHT punters have thrown cash onto this at odds of 500/1
- No final has seen more than seven goals since 1962
- Real have conceded 0.89 goals on average per game this season
- They haven’t conceded five since the Clasico demolition of November 2010
Antoine Griezmann to score first in a 3-3 draw
A Dublin customer has a euro on at odds of 500/1
- Griezmann opened the scoring on 18 occasions this season – including against Real in the Bernabeu
- Only one final has finished 3-3 but no Liverpool fan ever mentions it
- Atleti scored more than three on 11 occasions this season, Real did it 24 times