Willie Mullins has one runner at Royal Ascot on Saturday in the form of Stratum in the final race of the whole meeting, the Queen Alexandra Stakes.
Stratum has won the last two renewals of the conditions race, but the veteran stayer meets a number of younger rivals including Grade 3-winning novice hurdler Dawn Rising and last season’s Cesarewitch scorer Run For Oscar.
Paddy Power’s resident jockey-turned-pundit Ruby Walsh has insight into the Closutton yard and divulged his thoughts on Stratum’s chances in the Queen Alexandra Stakes on the latest episode of our From The Horse’s Mouth podcast.
Royal Ascot odds are on the Paddy Power website and Paddy Power app, otherwise Ruby’s verdict on Willie Mullins’ sole runner at the meeting on Saturday can be found below.
“William Buick rides Stratum and he gave Stratum a brilliant ride to win the race last year. He’s pretty much the same horse and is bidding to win this race for the third time.
“He’s a hard horse to gauge at home as he doesn’t exactly catch the pigeons so you wouldn’t want to be judging his homework. He’s healthy and he’s well and he’ll definitely run his race.
“Stratum has a bit of ground to find with Dawn Rising from their Leopardstown run. Dawn Rising ran a good race on that occasion.
“The really interesting one is Run For Oscar. A runaway winner of the Cesarewitch, he had a prep run for this over a mile and a half at the Curragh behind Mashhoor, Annerville, Ottilien and Moracana. He finished fifth and that’s a stronger prep for this than Dawn Rising or Stratum’s.
“Run For Oscar will stay and he could be hard to beat.”
Royal Ascot Tips
- Horse Racing Tips: Paddy Power’s epic Royal Ascot Cheat Sheet for Day 5
- Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Stakes tips and runner-by-runner guide to Ascot 3.40 on Saturday
- Horse Racing Tips: Matt Chapman’s super selections for Royal Ascot on Saturday
- Horse Racing Tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s best bets for Day 5 at Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Tips: Ruby Walsh’s best bets for Saturday’s action
- Horse Racing Tips: Jason Weaver’s slick picks for day 5 at Royal Ascot