One bright Paddy Power customer used the cash out function to the maximum at Cheltenham on Thursday as they turned a £1 each-way punt into £47,823.27.
The prudent punter from Wincanton in Somerset crafted a five-fold £1 each-way play on day three at Prestbury Park that would have paid £283,672 if all five pinged in.
However, with four in the bag, our bettor took the money and ran before their final leg set off. And it was a very wise decision.
- WELCOME TO PP NEWS: NEW TO US? CLICK HERE FOR OUR £/€20 SIGN-UP OFFER
It all started in the first race of the day, the Turners, where the 15/2 Stage Star caused a big upset to beat heavy favourite Mighty Potter.
The good times kept rolling when Good Time Jonny came from nowhere to bolt around the outside in the Pertemps Final at 9/1.
So far so good
Envoi Allen was the next winner for our punter in the Ryanair, beating Shishkin into second at 13/2 before Sire Du Berlais stayed on to win the Paddy Power Stayers’ Hurdle at a mammoth 33/1.
It all came down to the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle then where favourite Luccia was the selection with almost £300,000 on the line.
However, our bettor took the smart option and cashed out to end up a whopping £47,823.27 better off.
In the end Luccia did managed to place, just about, by finishing 4th in the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle but that finish would have meant a far smaller payout.
And by far smaller we mean to the tune of around £47,000. Woof.
So, very, very well played that man! Not a bad return off a couple of quid, we’re sure you’ll agree.
GET THE BEST CHELTENHAM TIPS TODAY AT PP NEWS
- Here’s Paul Jacobs’ picks for EVERY race – including 50/1 and 35/1 fancies
- Don’t miss Mick Fitzgerald, Frank Hickey, Matt Chapman, Ruby Walsh and Jane Mangan in our legendary CHEAT SHEET
- We’re across the Cheltenham & Footy action with this 12/1 multi-sport acca
- Get all the info you need for the Gold Cup in this runner-by-runner guide