Matt Chapman’s Day 3 Cheltenham Tips
THAT’S DAY 3 DONE, FOLKS. BUT DON’T MISS MORE TOP TIPS FOR FRIDAY AT CHELTENHAM:
- Here’s Paul Jacobs’ picks for EVERY race – including 50/1 and 35/1 fancies
- Don’t miss Mick Fitzgerald, Frank Hickey, Matt Chapman, Ruby Walsh and Jane Mangan in our legendary CHEAT SHEET
- We’re across the Cheltenham & Footy action with this 12/1 multi-sport acca
- Get all the info you need for the Gold Cup in this runner-by-runner guide
MIGHTY POTTER bombed out badly in the Supreme last year but he’s proved himself a pretty useful chaser this term. He stays well and ultimately was a ready winner of a Grade 1 at Leopardstown last time. The odd mistake is a worry, but should be hard to beat for Davy Russell and Gordon Elliott.
The Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle over three miles. It would be great to see the Pipe family back in the big time at Cheltenham and THANKSFORTHEHELP has every chance of doing that for David in the colours of JP McManus. The six-year-old is well fancied by AP McCoy and might be chucked in off 128 after bolting up at Chepstow last time. Travelled like a machine that day and Mark Walsh is a good booking.
FANCY A FREE 20 QUID BET? ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW TO BE IN WITH A SHOT. T&C’s HERE
The Grade 1 Ryanair Chase over an extended two miles and four furlongs. I’m the biggest fan of Shishkin and expect him to take all the beating. That said as a wager I’ll be having a bit each-way on FURY ROAD for Gordon Elliott. The nine-year-old is owned by the sponsors and hasn’t quite been seeing out the trip over three miles. Was a good winner at Down Royal over shorter not so long ago and was once third behind Monkfish and Latest Exhibition in the 2020 Albert Bartlett. Davy Russell rides.
No doubt the feature of the day in the Grade 1 Paddy Power Stayers’ over three miles. Some new kids on the block here but I’ll stick with hat-trick-seeking defending champion FLOORING PORTER for Danny Mullins and Gavin Cromwell. Although beaten twice this season the eight-year-old hasn’t been disgraced behind some of these and quite simply he comes alive at this track. It’s easier to play with the pace here and Mullins is a master of that.
- WELCOME TO PP NEWS: NEW TO US? CLICK HERE FOR OUR £/€20 SIGN-UP OFFER
This is the Magners Plate Handicap Chase over an extended two miles and four furlongs. A wide open event but surely IL RODOTO has at least a place chance for the champion Paul Nicholls and Harry Cobden. A mark of 146 is high enough but he scored well at Cheltenham last time and this trip and distance is absolutely perfect. Has a fair record in these type of speed jumping tests.
The Grade 2 Jack de Bromhead Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle over 2m1f. I’ll be very surprised if LUCCIA doesn’t take all the beating for Nicky Henderson and Nico de Boinville. The unbeaten daughter of The Gurkha was a fine bumper performer and connections considered running her in the Supreme. She has jumped really well at Exeter and Newbury.
Finally the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Amateur Jockeys’ Handicap Chase over three miles and two furlongs. BEAUPORT has a huge run in a handicap hurdle at Aintree to his name and has been tackling tough novice company over fences. I think he will relish this trip and if so has a fine each-way chance for Zac Baker and Nigel Twistor-Davies. So best of luck and pray for Yeeehaaas. You hear me Paddy?
Matt Chapman’s Thursday Cheltenham Tips
*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
STUDY THE FORM & GET ALL THE RESULTS
- CHECK OUT OUR SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY RACE, EVERY DAY
- WE HAVE ALL THE HORSE RACING FAST RESULTS YOU’LL EVER WANT
READ MORE ON THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 2023
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest Cheltenham Festival Horse Racing Tips
- Cheltenham Festival 2023 race times and schedule
- Cheltenham Tips: Paddy Power’s Thursday Cheat Sheet for day three of the Festival
- Cheltenham Tips: Paul Jacobs’ Cheltenham Day 3 Preview & Betting Tips