*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
WELCOME TO PADDY POWER NEWS!
13:15 Kempton – DEYRANN DE CARJAC
He’s been running really well in some hot handicaps on ground that is slower than ideal. It is nearly the first time for a while that DEYRANN DE CARJAC gets to operate on half-decent ground. I know it’s been a while since his last visit to the winners enclosure, but there were signs at Cheltenham last time that he’s getting closer. I think he’s good value in this contest.
13:50 Kempton – KNIGHT SALUTE
Trained by one of the real characters of British racing, Milton Harris comes from a non-racing background and started out on cruise ships 30 years ago. He once even went out with Belinda Carlisle and had Cary Grant as a drinking buddy!
He can train horses though and has a lively one on his hands now. KNIGHT SALUTE is 4-4 over hurdles and is the best of those with hurdles form here. The unknown, however, is how those who are yet to race over obstacles in the UK will get on. Some of them have shown plenty in France and Paul Nicholls runs two similar types. He won this with Zarkandar before he went on to win the Triumph afterwards. Knight Salute is rated 137 and if you are to be a major player in the Triumph hurdle you need to be rated 145+ so he’ll need to step up, but can do it.
STUDY THE FORM IN STYLE
- CHECK OUT OUR SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY RACE, EVERY DAY
Like Paddy Power News? Or maybe you just like to whinge? Tell us what you think in our reader survey
14:25 Kempton – MILLERS BANK
I must be mad I hear you say!
MILLERS BANK finished third in the Grade One Aintree hurdle over this trip on similar ground behind Abacadabras previously and while he is not the greatest jumper, the fence that caught him out at Cheltenham is a tricky one. There are no tricky fences at Kempton. The likely market leader Pic D’orhy is not a good jumper either. While he is talented, if you look at his Sandown run the jockey takes his hand off a rein, more than once. He’s a risky proposition as the prices and has taken a couple of heavy falls before. Millers Bank has not got a great record, but the price reflects that.
15:00 Kempton – MORIKO DE VASSY (each-way)
Shallwehaveonemore was an easy winner at Sandown and was also super impressive when winning a bumper at this track, beating a really smart horse in Walking on Air on decent ground. He sets a good standard. One I like at an each-way price is MORIKO DE VASSY. He was pushing Balco Coastal close at Huntingdon before he tipped up two out. He then won at Doncaster and at the prices, he is worth an each-way interest.
15:15 Newcastle – ECLAIR SURF
I was really impressed with ECLAIR SURF’s performance at Warwick in the Classic Chase. He jumped and travelled on a very strong pace. He is 10lbs higher but I am not sure that is enough to stop him.
The two against him are Rath An luir for Rose and Tony Dobbin and top-weight Domaine de Lisle for trainer Sean Curran. Rath An Luir has only had three runs over fences and could still be underestimated. He looks like a real stayer judged on what we saw at Carlisle. Domaine de Lisle ran a good race in the Beecher Chase at Aintree running on from a long way back, late on. He ran well over hurdles recently and has won at the track previously.
15:37 Kempton – CAP DU NORD
I thought Kevin Brogan gave Phoenix Way a lovely ride to win at Ascot. He was in receipt of lots of weight that day from Fanion Destruval but it was still a nice performance. The ground is the only slight concern now. All his best form is on soft. Annsam has not run since winning at Ascot when beating Phoenix Way. He has form on all types of ground, so is the solid option. CAP DU NORD loves this ground and ran a hell of a race when chasing home Royal Pagaille at the track. He was fifth in this race last year off a 15lb higher mark. He has to be of interest back down to a good mark.
ITV Racing Best Bets
- 13:15 Kempton – DEYRANN DE CARJAC
- 13:50 Kempton – KNIGHT SALUTE
- 14:25 Kempton – MILLERS BANK
- 15:00 Kempton – MORIKO DE VASSY
- 15:15 Newcastle – ECLAIR SURF
- 15:37 Kempton – CAP DU NORD
*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
- Cheltenham Tips: Your ultimate antepost betting guide to the 2022 Festival
- Cheltenham Tips: 5 to thrive as Paddy goes Non Runner Money Back on all races
- Cheltenham Tips: Ruby Walsh reveals Allaho’s biggest threat with his Ryanair Chase pick
Cheltenham Tips: Ruby Walsh & Rory Delargy deliver dire Arkle verdict for Third Time Lucki backers
- Cheltenham Tips: Matt Chapman’s Lucky 15 As Paddy Goes NRNB For The Festival
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest racing tips
- PUNTER NETS £14,836 OFF MUSSELBURGH LUCKY 15 TO ENTER PADDY’S PUNTING HALL OF FAME
- Cheltenham Festival: MARK YOUR CARDS FOR PADDY POWER’S ULTIMATE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 2022 PREVIEW NIGHT
- Cheltenham Festival 2022 day-by-day schedule and guide to the big races
- Cheltenham Festival: Paddy goes Non Runner Money Back on all races
- Cheltenham Festival: The best-backed horses in Paddy’s book for the Championship races