* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
KALOOKI, who should be available at a decent price, always runs very well at Newbury when you look back at his form and has won after a break a couple of times for Phillip Hobbs. The stable is also beginning to hit top form after a quiet period.
NEW TO PADDY POWER?
I’m going with the likely favourite for this race in VALLERES. I thought he was pretty well clear on ratings, the step-up in trip looks likely to suit and has an excuse for defeat at this track the last time after losing a shoe. This shouldn’t be the hardest race to win for him, if he does so.
I believe LECALE’S ARTICLE is very lowly rated in this race, but you would have to think that big things are expected considering connections. The Donnellys don’t buy handicappers (not on purpose anyway!) So, I reckon they thought he was a very good thing when they bought him. But, he is quite lightly raced and can fill some of that potential they thought he had when they purchased him here.
DINGO DOLLAR was second in the Scottish National last year for Sandy Thompson, which suggests the trip might be on the short side here at Newbury. But, he has only ever won over a furlong either side of 3m, so I believe this trip is actually ideal for him. He jumped off the page to me.
I originally thought Onemorefortheroad might make the running here, but I’ve since reversed my thinking on that. A small field for this Intermediate Hurdle worries me a bit as it could get tactical, but SOARING GLORY has enough speed to win from anywhere under the tutelage of trainer Jonjo O’Neill. I believe some people might just overthink this one and he is certainly the most talented horse in the race.
Hopefully the ground stays decent, as many of the other top guns in this contest want really deeper ground than is currently forecasted. If it stays goodish that’s great news for KITTY’S LIGHT, as the Christian Williams-trained gelding like better ground. We are also offering six places in this race, which adds to the appeal of Kitty’s Light.
- CHECK OUT OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN GET ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS
I know Epatante always wins first time out, but we know what she is and I don’t expect her to be any better than what we’ve seen in the past. I’m a fairytale merchant always looking for the next big thing and this one could be a future Champion Hurdle winner. I’m hoping MONMIRAL is as good as he’s looked so far and he can take the Betfair Fighting Fifth Hurdle. This four-year-old is on the up and I’m jumping on the bandwagon folks!
I’m backing GREY DIAMOND in this contest, I reckon the trip looks just right for him to capitalise. He didn’t quite get to 2m 1f when last seen at Ascot with the stiff finish at that track. However, I believe there is plenty to fancy about him. The half-furlong less trip for this, added too by the long straight at Newbury should suit him a lot more.
13:15 Newbury – Kalooki
13:30 Newcastle – Valleres
13:50 Newbury – Lecale’s Article
14:05 Newcastle – Dingo Dollar
14:25 Newbury – Soaring Glory
15:00 Newbury – Kitty’s Light
15:15 Newcastle – Monmiral
15:35 Newbury – Grey Diamond
- Gallop over to Paddy Power News for all the latest racing tips
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 8 slick picks for Saturday’s ITV Races
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s best bets for Saturday’s ITV Races
- Horse Racing tips: Ruby Walsh’s 8 sweet picks for Saturday’s ITV Races
- Horse Racing tips: Ruby Walsh’s 4 fab fancies at Fairyhouse on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Through the Saturday card at Newcastle with Timeform
- Long Distance Hurdle runner-by-runner guide as Paisley Park faces 5 rivals at Newbury
- King George VI Chase: Lostintranslation cut for Kempton Boxing Day feature
- Cheltenham Festival: Buzz cut as Paddy Power Stayers’ Hurdle market shaken up