*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while in-copy odds are accurate at time of publication but subject to change
Paddy Power’s Ruby Walsh is concerned that Presenting Percy’s jumping could be an issue in this year’s Grand National.
The 2018 RSA Novices’ Chase winner has never tackled Aintree’s famous fences but is among the favourites in our non-runner money back book at 16/1. He has been given a rating of 166 (11st 9lb) – the same as 2018 and 2019 winner Tiger Roll – by the handicapper for this year’s race.
Speaking on the latest episode of our ‘Countdown to Cheltenham‘ podcast, Ruby explained that Presenting Percy’s ‘ponderous’ jumping style may cause him problems unless that’s been improved since switching to Gordon Elliott’s yard last year.
“I’d like to see Presenting Percy have a bit more of a cut at these fences,” said Ruby, who won the big race on Papillon in 2000 and Hedgehunter in 2005. “Gordon Elliott has him now so maybe he will.
“I’d like to see him be a little bit quicker through the air as he can be a little bit ponderous.
“There’s so much jumping at Aintree if you get high and you’re a little bit slow you just lose so much ground. There are so many other horses to take your position. It’s a nightmare, really.”
Elliott said: “I would say I would hopefully run Presenting Percy. He has had a little setback, but hopefully I will have him back for the National.”
- DON’T MISS OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN CHECK OUT ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS
When is the Grand National 2021?
The 173rd running of the Grand National will take place at Aintree Racecourse on Saturday April 10. It is the crowning jewel of Aintree’s three-day Grand National Festival, which begins on Thursday April 8.
What time does the Grand National 2021 start?
It will be a late afternoon start for the horses and jockeys with the 4m 2f 74yds race scheduled to get underway at 5.15pm.
Read More on the Grand National
- Grand National 2021 potential runners and latest odds
- Grand National 2021 start time and key information
- Grand National 2021 weights revealed
- Grand National: 5 of the best moments in history
- Grand National: The 6 winners that shook the world
- Grand National: How Ruby Walsh was tricked into thinking he wouldn’t win