PYTHAGORAS has made a cracking start to his career, forcing one with the benefit of experience to keep pulling out more when second on debut. That was before putting that experience to good use in going one better at Beverley last month.
He was awarded an opening mark of 77 on his nursery debut at Ripon last time, and he prove himself a long way ahead of that assessment, overcoming trouble to score by a wide-margin.
He has been hit with a 12lb rise for that win, but with further improvement anticipated, that still may not be enough to prevent the hat-trick.
The William Haggas-trained NAHAARR arrives here on the back of a disappointing effort in the Stewards’ Cup at Goodwood last time. He failed to justify favouritism, but he looked a sprinter to follow when winning with plenty in hand at Newbury prior to that, and is best judged on that form.
He looked the type to potentially make up into a Listed or even pattern level performer on that occasion, sprinting clear inside the final furlong.
He is certainly worth another chance to land a big sprint handicap.
KING OF TONGA doesn’t initially appeal as the easiest to make a case for in this race, he is winless all season and his bare form reads pretty dismally.
But he has slipped a fair way in the weights for that very reason (now 3lb lower than his last winning mark), and with useful claimer Ray Dawson also taking off a further 5lb, it is unlikely he will be found a better opportunity to regain the winning thread.
He has a good chance on the pick of last year’s form and could be worth a small punt.
* Prices on our snazzy new bet widget are bang up to date.
- Grab racing previews from the UK, Ireland and the rest of the globe here
- Placing bets is easier than ever with Paddy Power News’ live odds banners
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 8 sweet selections for Saturday’s ITV coverage
- Horse Racing tips: Jason Weaver’s 8 great punts for Saturday’s ITV action
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s Saturday Lucky 31 to get the job done on ITV Racing
- Gowran Park tips: Our four to score for Saturday’s racing
- Navan tips: Our 4 wagers to watch from Saturday’s race card