GENUEFLEX made some appeal on paper ahead of his debut at Kempton in June but he backed out of things quickly, folding tamely after coming under pressure two furlongs out.
He showed much improved form back down in trip at Chepstow last time however, taking a strong hold and making good headway over two furlongs out, taking second inside the final furlong and finishing well.
He has the pedigree to go on again, including back over further, so this step up to a mile should show him to better advantage. He remains open to further improvement and his opening mark looks a fair one.
Bred to be useful, by Toronado and a half-sister to the useful Beacon, ILLYKATO produced a promising first effort when runner-up at Goodwood recently. Her lack of experience just prevented her from making more of a race of it with the winner.
She finished with running left on that occasion, and for all that the winner did win with a bit in hand, Illykato has the potential to improve past her.
Progression is surely forthcoming for Mick Channon’s filly and she holds an obvious chance of going one better here.
HARLEQUIN ROSE looked as though she had returned out of sorts when finishing down the field in her first two runs since the resumption of racing, but she took a step back in the right direction when fourth in a classified stakes at Bath last month.
The handicapper has shown her some mercy (she is 2lb lower than her last winning mark), and with the rest of the field hardly providing much inspiration, Harlequin Rose looks a solid option on the pick of her form – particularly from an each-way point of view.
* Prices on our snazzy new bet widget are bang up to date.
- Grab racing previews from the UK, Ireland and the rest of the globe here
- Placing bets is easier than ever with Paddy Power News’ live odds banners
- Horse Racing tips: Our traders’ 6 nifty NAPs from the weekend’s UK, US and Irish cards
- Horse Racing tips: Brendan Duke’s class Lucky 15 for the Curragh meeting on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 8 excellent punts for Sunday’s ITV coverage
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s fantastic 5 to follow for Sunday’s TV races