Battleground has an eye-catching pedigree – by War Front out of Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winner Found – and he shaped with clear promise when finishing a staying-on fifth over six furlongs at Naas on debut. He was stepped up in trip and in class at Royal Ascot, asked to contest the listed Chesham Stakes just ten days after his debut, and he proved to be a different proposition, showing much improved form to get off the mark.
Battleground had clearly learned plenty from that initial experience and he was a dominant winner at Royal Ascot, staying on strongly inside the final furlong to pull two and a half lengths clear. He has the pedigree and the profile to go to the very top and he should prove too good for these rivals.
Yazaman was fitted with blinkers on debut at Yarmouth and looked a potentially tricky customer during the race, carrying his head awkwardly. He did produce a powerful surge to win, though, and he proved himself a talented performer when finishing runner-up in a strong edition of the Windsor Castle Stakes at Royal Ascot, coming home powerfully having been off the bridle before most.
He again had to settle for second behind Tactical in the July Stakes at Newmarket last time, but he produced an improved effort on his first start over six furlongs and looked more straightforward than previously. He sets the standard and could have more to offer, so is very much the one to beat.
One Master has come up short on both starts this season, in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes over six furlongs and the Falmouth Stakes over a mile, but she drops in trip now and races over her optimum distance of seven furlongs here, so clearly has plenty in her favour.
One Master is a versatile, reliable mare, effective over a range of distances and a variety of ground conditions, but the very pick of her form has been achieved over seven furlongs. She has won the Group 1 Prix de la Foret on her last couple of outings at the distance and, unpenalised for her top-level triumphs, she is expected to bounce back to winning ways.
Timeform’s NAPS for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at Glorious Goodwood
- Grab racing previews from the UK, Ireland and the rest of the globe here
- Placing bets is easier than ever with Paddy Power News’ live odds banners
- Galway Races live stream: How to watch the racing for free with Paddy Power
- Galway Races tips: Our complete race-by-race best bets guide for Day 1 of the festival
- Horse Racing tips: Paddy’s 4 best backed selections at the Glorious Goodwood festival
- Horse Racing tips: Jason Weaver’s 8 punts for Goodwood glory on Tuesday
- Horse Racing tips: A fab 4 value plays for this week at Glorious Goodwood