CELESTRAN showed the benefit of his debut when getting off the mark at the second time of asking at Wolverhampton back in November and, back on the turf for his handicap debut, he showed useful form to make a winning return at Yarmouth last month.
He failed to improve on that when stepped up to Listed level at Goodwood last time, but was hardly disgraced behind a couple of smart sorts.
He has clearly got plenty of ability and is likely to go on improving, so he looks a big player now back in handicap company.
STAG HORN showed plenty of promise when hitting the frame on all three of his starts last season, and he showed much improved form to get off the mark making his handicap debut on his reappearance at Goodwood last month, seeing out the longer trip in the style that his pedigree suggests.
There should be plenty more to come from him over staying trips, and with this step up to two miles only likely to eke out further improvement, he is a confident selection ahead of likely favourite Alphabetical.
Five places up for grabs in this very open-looking handicap and the one that makes arguably the most appeal is Ed Walker’s JONAH JONES.
A dual winner in 2018 for Tom Dascombe, Jonah Jones looked right back on song on his first outing for Walker when a fast-finishing third at Haydock last month, dropping down to 5 furlongs for the first time and shaping very well, likely to have finished even closer had he not been badly hampered over a furlong out.
He is up 2lb for that run, but still features on a good mark and is clearly an interesting contender.
* Prices on our snazzy new bet widget are bang up to date.
- Grab racing previews from the UK, Ireland and the rest of the globe here
- Placing bets is easier than ever with Paddy Power News’ live odds banners
- Horse Racing tips: Timeform’s 3 horses to follow at Ascot on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Timeform’s 8 excellent fancies at Newmarket on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s 9 divine bets for Ascot and Newmarket on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Jason Weaver’s 9 nifty punts for Newmarket & Ascot on Saturday
- Horse Racing tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s Saturday Lucky 31 to get the job done on ITV Racing
- Horse Racing tips: Our 3 wonderful wagers at Leopardstown on Saturday