Samoot was a big eye-catcher when third on debut at Sandown, impressing with how well she stayed on close home behind two talented rivals. It was disappointing that she was only third at Newcastle next time, but she got rather worked up beforehand, which offers an excuse for the underwhelming display.
Samoot still didn’t look like the finished article when making her reappearance at Wolverhampton last month, but she kept on powerfully close home to prevail, clocking a noteworthy sectional. She remains open to plenty of improvement and enters handicap company on a fair mark, so should take plenty of beating.
Opera Gift progressed markedly last season and should have even more to offer after only four starts. Opera Gift was a big price on debut at Goodwood but shaped with promise to finish fourth over an inadequate trip of a mile and a quarter. He built on that to get off the mark at Pontefract over a mile and a half, and then readily defied his opening handicap mark at Yarmouth, impressing with his strength at the finish.
Opera Gift was unable to complete the hat-trick at Doncaster but he showed improved form over a mile and three-quarters to push Ocean Wind close. That form has since been well advertised, with Ocean Wind notably finishing runner-up in the Sagaro Stakes, and Opera Gift has plenty to recommend him on his reappearance.
Rectory Road is on a losing run of 13 but he has slipped in the weights as a consequence and there was a lot to like about his latest effort at Brighton last month. Rectory Road was only fifth, but he shaped much better than the bare result having been badly hampered over two furlongs out and then also short of room inside the final furlong. He is 8 lb below his last winning mark and is partnered by one of the most experienced amateur riders, so he is a big player.
- NAP – Samoot – 15:45 Salisbury
- NEXT BEST – Opera Gift – 14:05 Salisbury
- EACH-WAY – Rectory Road – 16:20 Salisbury
* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
- Horse Racing tips: Frank Hickey’s 3 best bets at Newmarket on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Ruby Walsh’s 4 to score at Newmarket on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Paddy Power’s slick 7 picks for Sunday’s ITV races
- Horse Racing tips: Matt Chapman’s best bets for Sunday’s ITV races