*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
Ah, the Epsom Derby. A 1m 4f dash to find the best three-year-old of their generation.
It’s known as the world’s greatest flat race but does it live up to the financial billing?
The pandemic has impacted prize funds in Great Britain but the return of crowds and easing of lockdown restrictions is set to see the money on offer bounce back to (near) pre-coronavirus levels.
Epsom Derby Prize Money
A total prize pot worth £1.125m is up for grabs – a massive increase from last year’s pandemic-affected £500,000 fund. It’s the second richest race in Great Britain in 2021 after the QIPCO Champion Stakes which boasts a £1.2m purse.
The winner of the Epsom Derby will net a cool £637,988 for connections but we all know a place in the history books is priceless.
- OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN CHECK OUT ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
Epsom Derby Tips
Timeform: “It’s very notable that the hugely-exciting BOLSHOI BALLET is the only runner for Ballydoyle and he can give Aidan O’Brien a stunning ninth Derby this century, 20 years on from his sire Galileo’s victory. He won the two main Irish trials impressively and should have even more to offer over this longer trip. Mohaafeth, Hurricane Lane and Irish 2000 Guineas-winner Mac Swiney complete the shortlist.”
Mick Fitzgerald: “BOLSHOI BALLET looked the real deal at Leopardstown and powered through the line, he certainly wasn’t stopping anyway.”
Matt Chapman: “The horse who I expect to improve the most on what we have seen is JOHN LEEPER for Ed Dunlop, and now Frankie Dettori rides. By the beast Frankel out of Snow Fairy, an Oaks winner for the same connections as John Leeper, I suspect my selection will massively step up for a longer trip.”
Jason Weaver: “Paddy is offering a ridiculous price for ONE RULER each way as we still don’t truly know how good he may be.”
READ MORE ON THE EPSOM DERBY
- Horse Racing Tips: Mick Fitzgerald’s best bets for Epsom Derby day
- Horse Racing Tips: Matt Chapman’s Epsom Derby plays on ITV Racing
- Horse Racing Tips: Jason Weaver’s Saturday 7 for ITV Racing at Epsom
- The ultimate Epsom Derby runner-by-runner guide
- Ruby Walsh’s Saturday cheat sheet at Epsom
- Paddy Power pundits’ cheat sheet for Epsom Derby Day at Epsom