* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
LADYWOOD had barely hit a modest level in her first five outings, but she did have more to recommend her on paper than most of her rivals at Chelmsford last time. She duly showed much improved form to get off the mark, relishing the step up to 10 furlongs as she stayed on to lead inside the final half furlong, finishing well on top.
That may only have been a low-grade nursery, but the runner-up has come out and won since, and Ladywood herself is open to further improvement – particularly given she is in the adept hands of Mark Johnston.
CHARLES LE BRUN appealed very much as the type who could progress further from such a lowly starting point when he opened his account at Windsor in October. After not really kicking on from that victory in his next two outings, he may consider himself unfortunate not to have regained the winning thread at Kempton last time.
He made headway when short of room entering the final furlong, but keeping on well inside the final 100 yards, just failing to overhaul the winner. He is of more interest than most at this level and he is taken to make amends from just 1lb higher.
- CHECK OUT OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN GET ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
There is little to choose between the majority of this field, but CAPRIOLETTE comes out top on Timeform’s weight-adjusted ratings, so she could be worth chancing at the current prices. Capriolette hasn’t won since landing the spoils at Nottingham back in August 2019, but she has remained relatively consistent since, and she has hit the frame in three of her five outings this term.
She has proved on a couple of occasions this term that she is still every bit as good as she was last year, and she arrives here on the back of a respectable fourth at Lingfield last month – a race that is proving reasonably warm for the grade. She has slipped down the weights over the last year or so and is now able to race off her last winning mark, so must have a good chance if at her best.
- Paddy Power Millionaire Chase: Cheltenham’s New Year’s Day meet abandoned – what happens now
- Horse Racing tips: Punter lands £17k on New Year’s Day off £5 stake
- Cheltenham 2021: Clues & Questions for the Festival from the Christmas period
- Paddy’s literally all over racing on the telly thanks to our new ITV sponsorship