* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
NEWBOLT produced a career best to resume winning ways over this course and distance last month, handling the fibresand with aplomb on his first attempt. Settled just behind the leaders in the early stages, he travelled as well as any and quickly drew clear after being produced to lead over a furlong out, ultimately beating Mosakhar by 2-and-a-quarter lengths.
Mosakhar is in opposition again here and should get closer on 6lbs better terms, but Newbolt looked to have more up his sleeve last time after being eased down close home. He may yet have more to offer on this surface too, and this looks a good opportunity for him to follow up for the in-form Ralph Beckett (five winners from his last eight runners).
TURQUOISE KINGDOM is bred in the purple (by Dubawi out of the Coronation Stakes winner Fallen For You), and he shaped better than the bare result when fourth on his most recent outing at Lingfield. He travelled with plenty of zest at the head of affairs but didn’t see the race out, leaving the impression his stamina was stretched by the trip.
That effort is still better than anything his six rivals here have achieved, so he’s hard to oppose if taking to this surface, with every chance the drop back to a mile could unlock further improvement.
- CHECK OUT OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN GET ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
MORE TIPS: Frank Hickey’s fab 4 Sunday selections
PHANTASMAL has failed to trouble the judge in two starts since winning over this course and distance in November, but his latest effort when fifth at this venue wasn’t without promise. That run crucially came over 7 furlongs, with the slightly longer trip seeming to find him out after he had travelled well on the heels of the leaders.
He certainly showed enough to suggest he is still in good form, while the handicapper has dropped him another 1lb since then, so he is now only 2lbs higher than when recording his latest success. Back over 6 furlongs in a race where plenty of them have questions to answer, Phantasmal is well worth chancing at good each-way odds.
More tips for Sunday
- Timeform’s 7 fab fancies at Fairyhouse on Sunday
- Timeform’s punchy punts at Plumpton on Sunday
- 7 best bets for today’s meeting at Catterick
- Paddy Power Millionaire Chase: Cheltenham’s New Year’s Day meet abandoned – what happens now
- Horse Racing tips: Timeform’s punchy punts at Plumpton on Sunday
- Cheltenham 2021: Clues & Questions for the Festival from the Christmas period
- Paddy’s literally all over racing on the telly thanks to our new ITV sponsorship