Doctor Nuno has shown improved form since joining Tony Carroll’s yard and looks set to give another good account. He did well to win a handicap over this course and distance last month, overcoming a slow start to prevail by a length and three-quarters, and he wasn’t disgraced when failing to reel in a well-ridden front-runner over a mile and half a furlong last time.
Doctor Nuno is still relatively lightly raced, particularly for this yard, so he might not have shown everything that he has to offer. He is only 3 lb higher in the weights than last time and Tom Marquand takes over in the saddle, so his claims are clear.
The Met was successful on both starts at this venue last season and shaped as if back to form when returned to the all-weather at Chelmsford last time. The Met kept on nicely over a mile in the style of a horse that would relish a return to longer distances and he should be well suited by this test.
A further 2 lb drop in the weights means that he is now down to a career-low mark and he is of obvious interest on his first start for Mark Loughnane. Sandret had plummeted in the weights prior to finishing runner-up at Newcastle last month and he could pose the biggest danger if building on that encouraging effort.
Luna Magic has been below her best on turf the last twice, but she had excuses on both occasions, making her effort earlier than ideal. A slight ease in the weights means that she is now 2 lb lower than when runner-up in this contest last season, and she is likely to give a good account under regular rider Brodie Hampson. It’s also worth noting that Luna Magic won at this venue last year, landing a handicap over a mile and half a furlong.
The main danger could be Whatwouldyouknow as he has put together a string of consistent efforts and arrives on the back of a career-best performance. His recent success was a fourth at the course.
- Jump over to all the top tips and racing previews now
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: Politologue backers enter Monday’s Live draw at 6pm for week 4 winner
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: I’ve £1m more reasons to watch on New Year’s Day now says week 4 winner
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: This must be karma after the break-in says week 3 winner
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: I hadn’t a clue I’d won says week 2 winner
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: Birthday Girl Lands €10k Booty As First Qualifier For New Year’s Day Giveaway