* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widget, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
COQUELICOT completed a hat-trick in bumpers last season, culminating with a useful victory in a Listed mares’ event at Kempton in March. It was therefore surprising that she was turned over at short odds on her hurdling debut at Fontwell last month.
However, there was still plenty of encouragement to be taken from that run, sticking to her task well after some sloppy jumping to be beaten only 3 lengths. That form sets the standard in this line-up, so she is a confident selection to get off the mark at the second attempt, especially when you factor in her scope for more improvement.
JOBSONFIRE was seeking a four-timer on his recent reappearance at Ascot, lining up from a 14lbs higher mark than when recording his last win at Carlisle in February. In the event, he had to settle for third in much the strongest race he has contested yet. However, the way he shaped suggests he is still on a good mark, seemingly going best when a mistake at the last halted his momentum.
He tied up quickly after that, leaving the impression he wasn’t at peak fitness. There will be no excuses on that front on Sunday, and, with further progress on the cards, he is fancied to defy another 2lbs rise in the weights to regain the winning thread.
- DON’T MISS OUR BRAND NEW SNAZZY RACECARDS FOR EVERY SINGLE RACE TODAY
- … THEN CHECK OUT ALL THE WINNERS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE WITH OUR FAST RESULTS PAGES
DAWSON CITY looked rusty after eight months off when down the field at Exeter last time, shaping as if the run would bring him on. Admittedly, he hasn’t won since February 2019 and is unlikely to be getting any better at the age of 11, but there are still plenty of reasons to be positive about his chance in this company.
This represents a significant drop in grade for a start, while he is now 9lbs below his last winning mark, with a good conditional taking over in the saddle. It will certainly be no surprise if we see a much better performance from him this time, so an each-way bet at the current odds could pay rich dividends.
- Paddy Power’s Millionaire Chase: All you need to know about the MILLION quid New Year’s Day giveaway
- Horse Racing tips: Frank Hickey’s 4 to score at Navan and Exeter on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: Ruby Walsh selects 7 at Navan and Cork on Sunday
- Horse Racing tips: 3 must see punts at Bordeaux Le Bouscat on Sunday
- Horse Racing Tips: 8 Timeform rate at Navan on Sunday