A big like a Moeen Ali delivery, the world of cricket betting never stops spinning. Whether you’re following the Boxing Day Test in Australia, England v Australia in the Ashes, the IPL in spring, England’s County Championship summer, or the Cricket World Cup in the autumn, there isn’t a week that goes by without someone playing this sport somewhere in the world.
If you love cricket but don’t know where to get started from a betting point of view then you’re in the right place. Paddy Power has a huge range of cricket odds to access daily, but newcomers may feel a little daunted by where to go.
So, we’ve created this short cricket betting guide to take you through the basics of this magnificent game. From most popular bets to cricket betting tips, biggest tournaments and live betting advice, we’re here to maximise your knowledge.
WELCOME TO PADDY POWER NEWS!
Most popular cricket bets
There’s oodles of betting markets for cricket matches, but for most new players it’s worth sticking with the core cricket bets and learning how to master them, before pushing to anything more elaborate.
With that in mind, here are the most popular cricket bets to get you started:
- Match bet – You can bet on the result of a match at Paddy Power with ease. Your options are home win (1), draw (X) or away win (2).
- Double chance – Bet on two of the three match bet outcomes. Your options are 1X, X2 or 12. The double chance carries smaller odds than a match bet but your risk is lower.
- Total runs – Bet on either team’s total runs in a single innings, or even the total runs in a match. This is a great bet type as you can bet over or under a set amount. For example, you bet England to score -250.5 total runs in a Test match with India. England are bowled out for 210, and you win your bet.
- First wicket – Bet when you think the first wicket of the day might be. It’s also possible to bet in the live cricket odds on when the next wicket will be.
- Top scorer – Bet on which batter will top score in a match. These odds usually focus on openers.
- Top wicket taker – Similar to top scorer, you can bet on which player will take the most wickets in a match. It’s worth doing some research here to see if the wicket benefits fast bowlers or spinners.
"When no one's watching, he pretends to play cricket."
Be careful, this may happen to people you know this summer…
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) June 16, 2023
Cricket betting tips
You can access scores of cricket tips over the course of the year here at Paddy Power. But if you’re seeking some tips to get started, then it’s worth checking out the basics below that can help you get into the right mindset:
- Bet low – Placing small bets is far better than one bigger wager that might not pay out. Newcomers who bet small can quickly get accustomed to how to bet on cricket without risking their budget.
- Check the conditions – The weather affects cricket more than most sports, and can greatly influence your cricket bet. Look for weather resorts to see how overcast and humid the conditions are, see what the wicket is like, and check variables like expected rainfall before placing a bet.
- Form is key – Cricket really is a form game and players in the right groove are difficult to topple. Look for batters who keep nailing half-centuries, and bowlers who thrive on picking off top-order opponents. They’re the guys to back in the individual markets.
- Bet live – Follow the action from games across the world at Paddy Power and access the live cricket odds. Here you can time your bets to perfection and get better prices than in the pre-match markets.
- Cash out – Don’t be afraid to cash out on a bet if you think your winning streak isn’t going to last. After all, some profit is better than no profit – and there isn’t a better feeling than cashing out just before your bet blows up.
Best tournaments to bet on cricket
Cricket is a year-round sport that benefits from flipping between hemispheres whenever it gets a little chilly or rainy. The English summer may only last a couple of months but that doesn’t stop organisers throwing in fixtures in April and September. The Indian subcontinent thrives outside of monsoon season, while players bake Down Under over Christmas time.
Some tournaments like the County Championship and Big Bash attract moderate interest from cricket bettors. But the big competitions have punters wagering on the odds every day – here are some to be aware of.
Betting on the Ashes is a great way to get closer to the action and follow every delivery. Paddy Power offers extensive Ashes odds, alongside the latest stats and ball-by-ball coverage from all five Test matches. The home team is usually favourites to win the Ashes, and you can always rely on England to flirt with a 5-0 series defeat in Australia.
The Indian Premier League is the biggest domestic T20 competition in the world, and Paddy Power is here to bring you IPL betting odds on every match of the tournament. Players are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to star in the league, which takes place each spring. This is T20 cricket on overload and great for bettors chasing big wicket hauls and monster boundary shots.
Test match betting
Outside of the Ashes, there are plenty of Test matches to bet on each year. The likes of India and New Zealand thrive on their home wickets, while South Africa and West Indies can be relied on to deliver dangerous bowling attacks. Test match betting is particularly popular for long-term bettors, who prefer to play the odds across five days and snap up value prices in the live markets.
Cricket World Cup betting
The Paddy Power cricket betting site comes alive during the Cricket World Cup, the one-day tournament that England sensationally won in 2019. The World Cup pits the best nations on the planet together, and can produce some big, big upsets. Local conditions play a huge part in who wins and loses in this tournament.
Betting on The Hundred
England’s The Hundred made its debut in 2021 and is the best way to get into betting on women’s cricket. It’s fast, powerful, and largely predictable. Oval Invincibles won the first two Women’s Hundred titles and this predictability is great for bettors seeking sure profit.
Bet on cricket live
The Paddy Power cricket experience doesn’t get much better than when the live odds are in play. We strive to offer extensive live cricket betting markets on matches from across the world. Whether it’s The Hundred, the Ashes, the IPL or even an ICC World Cup Qualifier, our live odds have you covered.
Live odds react to what’s happening on the field, and the impact of a wicket in cricket can greatly change the betting markets. What’s more, we provide a huge range of live stats and updates for all players, so you can keep on top of every delivery.
Top tip: Follow the live cricket odds and get used to how the stats are delivered and the changes to the scorecard, before placing a live bet. The more you know about how the live odds react to events on the field, the smarter your bet choices will be.