Ciro Immobile is expected to recover from the dislocated eyelash which threatened to rule him out of Italy’s Euro 2020 semi-final clash with Spain.
The 31-year-old sustained the injury whilst rolling about the penalty box and sobbing during the Azzurri’s 2-1 win over Belgium on Friday night.
Roberto Mancini said the Lazio striker is willing to play through the pain barrier as his side look to book their place in next Sunday’s final at Wembley.
“Ciro is a warrior,” Mancini told Paddy Power News. “He took the lash right out of its socket and asked the physio to pop it back in.
“Not many men would be willing to play so soon after such a horrific injury but he’s made yet another miraculous recovery.”
Immobile shared a photo of the lash dangling from his right eyelid with his 1.4 million Instagram followers along with the caption #prayforciro.
Italy fans were so moved by the images that they set up a JustGiving page for the former Torino forward.
“I will come back stronger from this,” Immobile told Paddy Power News.
“I’d like to thank all my fans, especially Alan Shearer for the kind words and support since the injury which almost threatened my career.”
Meanwhile, footage has emerged of Spain striker Alvaro Morata preparing for Tuesday’s clash by attempting to strike a cow’s arse with a banjo.
The 28-year-old Juventus striker was spotted wildly swinging the string instrument at a bovine’s backside during a training session with La Roja.
“He’s getting closer,” Spain boss Luis Enrique told Paddy Power News.
Perhaps he’d have more joy if he swapped to something bigger like a cello or a double bass?
“Or maybe we’ll just get him a cow with a larger arse? I’m talking big. Like Eden Hazard big.”
In other news, Gary Lineker is recovering well after having emergency surgery to have the smug look removed from his face following England’s 4-0 win over Ukraine.
The 60-year-old underwent a complicated nine-hour procedure to have the facial expression extracted and is expected to recover in time for the Three Lions’ semi-final clash with Denmark on Wednesday.
New to Paddy Power?
ITALY v SPAIN TIPS
- Check out our huge 43/1 Bet Builder for Italy v Spain
- CHEAT SHEET: A 22/1 Bet Builder for Italy v Spain using Andy Robson’s data
- TRADER VERDICT: Paddy’s top number-cruncher has his say on Italy v Spain
- Phil Thompson’s 8/1 shout for Italy v Spain
- Welsh, Scottish & Irish FAs release statement: ‘It might be coming home’
- Exclusive: Parents name new-born triplets It’s, Coming and Home
- Southgate: ‘Threat of more Ed Sheeran key to Germany win’
- Euro 2020 top scorer latest odds, best bet and golden boot standings
- Euro 2020 fixtures and results: All the scores, groups and latest odds
- Come on you boys in white! Irish clubs to net €10k as England score at Euro 2020