* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
It’s not every day you have a World Cup and European Championship winner dropping knowledge for you to pick up on, but we’ve drafted in our football ambassador Emmanuel Petit for his tips for France v Germany on Tuesday night. Group F has been described as the ‘group of death’ and Petit is fancying a cagey opener from these two nations.
Tuesday 20:00 – France v Germany
ITV 1 / RTÉ Two
A loss for either side would be a huge dent to their respective high hopes of winning the tournament outright, as France go in search of emulating the achievement of Petit’s side by winning two major tournaments back-to-back. Meanwhile, Germany will be looking to put some iffy form in the build up to the Euros behind them, as they seek a perfect send off for their manager Joachim Low.
I don’t believe Germany will win this game because even though France are limited defensively, they don’t concede too many goals and you can see that in their record over the last few years. I’m sure Germany are afraid of this French team, and they probably won’t try to pressure them straight away.
It will also be very dangerous for the Germans if they were to leave any space in behind their backline for France to exploit. I see this being a very tactical affair as it is the first game of the tournament for both teams in such a tough group, and every point in it will be so important. That means both sides will not want to fall to defeat on Tuesday. It’s a case of, if you can’t win the game, then you must try everything you can not to lose it!
I’m going to go with a draw to be the result. It should be a 1-1 type of match as I don’t see France or Germany having many chances to score in the game. It should be a very close one!
There has been a lot of talk about Karim Benzema in France after he left the warm-up game against Bulgaria with a dead leg. Then Olivier Giroud came on and scored two goals! But, I’m pretty sure Benzema will recover in time to start this game.
Giroud seems to score every time he appears for France and Benzema knows the pressure that is on his shoulders, as he’s been missing goals since he came back into the international fold. So, this is an important match for Benzema because if he can score against Germany, that will send a strong message to the France manager Didier Deschamps and his French teammates.
Benzema is so good that he always finds loads of opportunities in every game he plays, and I see him grabbing a goal here for France.
- Our 16/1 Bet Builder from Andy Robson’s Cheat Sheet for Germany v France
- Tonight’s 8/1 double from both Group F matches
- Squads and statistics correct at time of data sheet creation.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Check out our complete team-by-team guides for the two teams below:
- France Euro 2020 squad guide: Paddy’s predictions, tips, odds and best bet for the tournament
- Germany Euro 2020 squad guide: Paddy’s predictions, tips, odds and best bet for the tournament
READ MORE ON EURO 2020
- Emmanuel Petit: N’Golo Kante is the heart and soul of the France team
- Emmanuel Petit: Mason Mount must play how he does with Chelsea to drive England to glory
- Euro 2020 tips: Top scorer? Winners? Finalists? Thommo, Ince, Paddy & Petit have the answers