Look away now England fans.
Not even patriotic Englishman Phil Thompson thinks it’s coming home this year. The 42-capped Three Lions defender has linked up with Paddy’s panel to rate Gareth Southgate’s side’s chances of glory in the World Cup this year.
NEW TO PADDY POWER NEWS?
But could it be as bad as 2016? Let’s get the definitive verdict on how far England are going in Qatar.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE THREE LIONS? Check our in-depth England World Cup squad profile
England should top the group and win in the last 16, but they’ll falter after that. I don’t think they’re good enough to go further, and recent performances have shown that. It’ll be a QUARTER-FINAL exit.
They’ve got a decent group but do tend to struggle later in the tournament. I think a QUARTER-FINAL could be the best they can do.
I think it’ll be the QUARTER-FINALS, which you’d say for the fans won’t be good enough. Gareth Southgate seems to want two holding midfield players and I’m not sure that gets you enough goals. So many players are out of form, too.
Likely QUARTER-FINALS but I would not be surprised to see them exit at the last 16 stage after struggling in the group.
Getting to the Euros final last time was completely jammy and down to the fact that they couldn’t have got a kinder run. It’s unlikely to happen again and I fear the LAST 16 is as far as they’ll go.
England Stage of Elimination tips
Thommo – Quarter-finals
Charlie – Quarter-finals
Lawro – Quarter-finals
Jason – Quarter-finals
Paddy – Last 16
*All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change
- Score your football betting tips and previews at Paddy Power News
- World Cup 2022 dates, fixtures, groups, kick-off times and schedule for Qatar competition
- World Cup 2022: Which teams have qualified for the Qatar World Cup?
- World Cup winner odds: Brazil, France and England head Paddy’s Qatar 2022 outright market
- World Cup top scorer: Who are the favourites to win the Golden Boot?
- England World Cup predicted lineup: Paddy’s prices for Southgate’s starting XI v Iran