* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
This is going to be a fascinating encounter. It is one of those games where I look at the prices and they just seem right to me. Even though they are at home, Southampton are going off as underdogs in the betting. That’s mainly because there talismatic striker Danny Ings is missing and that is quite significant.
When Ings plays well, the Saints play well. But, it doesn’t go quite as smoothly for them without the former Liverpool man, as he is absolutely vital to everything they do. On the flip side, you just can’t trust Brighton to even put the ball in the net and win a game these days. Looking at the recent struggles of both these sides, I’d suggest selecting the draw in this one.
Sunday 12:00 – Southampton v Brighton
- Check out all the latest Football tips and previews now
With Danny Ings out, the person you have to go to when searching for a goalscorer here is James Ward-Prowse. He’s on penalties for Southampton and he’s scored two of them in his last two appearances for The Saints. That makes us even more confident of him finding the net here.
Don’t forget he’s also the master of free-kicks for Ralph Hasenhuttl’s men, and he’s very good at getting the ball up-and-over any wall you put in his way. We expect him to be hitting the target often here and that gives him every chance of finding the net.
If you want a bet from outside the match betting markets, have a look at Southampton to score the first goal in the game. They’ve done it in around 75% of their home games this term and in 10 games at St Mary’s they’ve managed to find the net first, but they’ve only gone on to win five of those. That tells you a lot about Southampton’s season.
- Football tips: Our trader’s 21/1 Bet Builder for Arsenal v Tottenham on Sunday
- Football tips: Our trader’s 2 awesome bets for Leicester v Sheffield United
- Football tips: Our trader’s slick 60/1 Bet Builder for Man United v West Ham
- Football tips: Thommo and our trader’s top picks for Arsenal v Spurs
- Win free bets for Cheltenham with our #CrouchTo5K game