Austria - Group F
Austria absolutely stormed through qualification remaining unbeaten throughout their campaign and winning every single game away from home. Will they be able to maintain that form on their travels to France this summer?
Get to know: Austria
Austria breezed through qualification for Euro 2016 winning all but one of their qualifying matches, scoring plenty of goals along the way and winning every single game on the road. Bayern Munich’s David Alaba and Leicester City’s Christian Fuchs provide much needed defensive stability for Marcel Koller’s men but upfront, FC Basel’s Marc Janko was banging them in for fun, ending up with 7 goals during the qualification campaign.
In the group stages, they won 9 games, drew 0 and lost 1, scoring 22 goals, conceding 5 and ending up with a +17 goal difference.
In the draw for the main event, Austria were placed in Group F, alongside Portugal, Hungary and Iceland.
June 14 vs. Hungary 4pm – Nouveau Stade de Bordeaux, Bordeaux
June 18 vs. Portugal 7pm – Parc des Princes, Paris
June 22 vs. Iceland 4pm – Stade de France, Saint-Denis
During qualification, the Austria scored 22 goals
Their goal scorers were:
- Marc Janko (7)
- David Alaba (4)
- Marko Arnautović (3)
- Martin Harnik (3)
- Zlatko Junuzović (2)
- Rubin Okotie (2)
- Marcel Sabitzer (1)
Qualification Stat Truths:
- One of only two sides to take the first shot in every qualifying match.
- Scored in every qualifying match.
- Scored first in 9/10 of their qualifying matches.
- Didn’t concede a single headed goal in qualifying.
- Took the largest percentage of shots from inside the box of any qualifier with 68.5%.
- 2nd most accurate shooters of any qualifier, getting 53.1% of their shots on target.
All data based on Austria’s Euro 2016 qualification campaign. Courtesy of the Press Association.