* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
There is not much on the line in Russia on Wednesday evening as Chelsea make the long trip to Saint Petersburg for the final game in Group H of the Champions League. The Blues have already qualified and will top the group if they match the result of Juventus, while FC Zenit are already assured of the third place Europa League slot as they hold a three point advantage and a better head-to-head record over Malmo.
There might be changes aplenty as Thomas Tuchel’s men look to recover from their shock, late defeat to West Ham last weekend. So, to figure it all out, we’ve turned to former European Cup winner and Paddy Power ambassador Phil Thompson for his picks and Thommo reckons Big Romelu Lukaku is primed to do damage.
HELLO FROM PADDY POWER NEWS!
Watch on BT Sport 3
I’m already feeling the cold, just thinking about this game in Saint Petersburg. It’s difficult for teams when they go to this part of the world for games. However, when you have 12 points after five games in a Champions League group, normally you would be happy with that return. But, Juventus also have 12 points, so Chelsea still have to win this final group game.
It is a massive boost for teams to finish top of their Champions League groups. When you go into the knockout stage, you want to be playing a team that has only managed to finish second in their group. Chelsea will have that on their mind on Wednesday. Thomas Tuchel has made more changes than any other manager in the Premier League and he’s got injuries galore heading into this match.
However, Chelsea are going to have to go all out to win this. I reckon Romelu Lukaku to start, he may still have a bit of niggle, but he needs to start getting back to full fitness now. Zenit sit top of the table in the Russian Premier Liga and they drew 2-2 last weekend against FC Rostov, however they should still be pushovers for The Blues.
Wednesday football tips
- Football Tips: Our 21/1 Bet Builder for Man Utd v Young Boys
- Man Utd v Young Boys Tips: Thommo’s fine 9/1 punt heads his 3 best bets
- Football Accumulator Tips Today: Check out Wednesday’s tasty 28/1 Champions League acca
- Need team news to complete your Bet Builder? Well, now Paddy’s got you covered
- When is the Champions League last 16 draw? Date, start time and qualified teams
- Newcastle Transfers: Eddie Howe plans to sign entire Bournemouth squad in January
- Breaking News: Mike Bassett appointed Everton’s new director of football
- Championship class! Paddy Power Punter nets £2,300 off just a £1 stake