* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
It’s been a long time coming, but after 23 years of waiting Scotland will finally take to the field in a major football competition as they face the Czech Republic at 2pm. To make things even better for The Scots, they get to do it at it home in Hampden Park, Glasgow.
Monday 14:00 – Scotland v Czech Republic
BBC One / RTÉ Two
Steve Clarke’s charges will be hoping to emulate their neighbours to the south England by grabbing three points at home in Group D to kick-off the tournament, before the pair meet in a mega-clash at Wembley on Friday night. But, they face a Czech side who are no mugs on the grand stage and we’ve turned to our trading team to get you their top tips for Monday’s game.
Backing the draw is never the most exciting selection for punters, but it looks the smart play here in a game that is too close to call. Czech Republic are one of the most improved teams in international football and they particularly impressed me when they had the better of a 1-1 draw against a full-strength Belgium in a World Cup qualifier back in March.
They possess quality throughout the side, most notably with their West Ham duo of Tomas Soucek and Vladimir Coufal. Meanwhile, the highly-rated midfielder Spartak Moscow midfielder Alex Kral tipped to follow them to the Premier League this summer.
Scotland are also much improved under the shrewd management of Steve Clarke and the addition of Che Adams gives their attack a focal point that was badly lacking. Playing in front of their home fans at Hampden Park, Scotland can raise their level and nick a point off superior opposition.
Liverpool’s Andrew Robertson will likely play in a wing-back role on Monday and should get plenty of chances to get crosses into the box. Given that, this looks a fair price on him to set up one of his countrymen to be a hero.
Patrik Schick has a solid goalscoring record at international level and has started to emerge as one of the better strikers in the German Bundesliga for Bayer Leverkusen over the last couple of seasons. Don’t be surprised if he his name on the scoresheet at the end of the game on Monday.
- Squads and statistics correct at time of data sheet creation.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Check out our complete team-by-team guides for the two teams below:
- Scotland Euro 2020 squad guide: Paddy’s predictions, tips, odds and best bet for the tournament
- Czech Republic Euro 2020 squad guide: Paddy’s predictions, tips, odds and best bet for the tournament
READ MORE ON EURO 2020
- Come on you boys in white! Paddy’s giving €10K to Irish footy every time England net at Euros
- Football tips: Paddy trader’s belting best bet for Spain v Sweden on Monday
- Euro 2020 tips: Emmanuel Petit’s 3 best bets for Spain v Sweden include a 7/1 shout
- Football tips: Paddy trader’s NAP for tight Poland v Slovakia game on Monday