It’s hard not to see this as a tight low-scoring game.
Chelsea’s defensive record since Thomas Tuchel took over is really superb. They’ve kept 10 clean sheets in 14 Premier League games under him, and concede in just one of the four Champions League games they’ve played – which was a bicycle kick in injury against Porto.
Tuesday 20:00 – Real Madrid v Chelsea
BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
Meanwhile, Madrid have had three nil-all draws in their last four matches, which says something about the attacking support they have around Karim Benzema.
Vinicius Jr had a superb game against Liverpool but his form has been very inconsistent, while Eden Hazard is working his way back from another one of these injuries he’s had since joining the club.
Few goals looked baked into the prices at the moment, so the angle I like is Chelsea as simply the better team than Madrid.
Coming into the Liverpool tie I thought Madrid were weak and reflective of a poor La Liga. The result of that pairing said more about Liverpool’s flaws than Real’s strengths.
Tuchel’s team are a far more complete team than Liverpool at the moment. They can dominate this game with their aggressive pressing style. I can see them nicking a close game here. Chelsea 1-0 or 2-0 looks a decent bet to me.
It follows that I’d fancy Chelsea to qualify – Madrid are favourites but I think the Blues should be.
If you look at the prices in the last round, Real were Even money to go through against Liverpool. I think the Stamford Bridge side are better than Liverpool, but the price is longer on them to go through in the semi-final. I’d back them to qualify for sure.
* All prices are bang up to date with our snazzy widgets, while odds in copy are accurate at time of publishing but subject to change.
- You can now deposit to your Paddy Power account with PayPoint
- Heroic John W Henry pulls Jurgen Klopp from under bus
- Rejoice! Paddy Power’s England, Scotland and Wales betting shops are now open
- Declan Rice “gutted” at Dublin Euro 2020 games move
- Click here for our £/€20 risk-free sign up offer