The 2023/24 season began with treble winners Manchester City being priced at 5/6 to retain the Premier League title.
Arsenal were 11/2, Liverpool were third on 8/1 with Man United – yes, Man United – back at 14/1.
We’ve seen Trent Alexander-Arnold moved forward in a more influential role and while Darwin Nunez has his detractors, the Liverpool team have shown over recent weeks that it’s not only Mohamed Salah who can unluck opposition defences.
We talked to former Liverpool legend Phil Thompson this week about his beloved side’s chances of landing what would be their 20th league title.
- NEW TO PADDY POWER? PLACE A £5 BET ON SPORTS GET £20 IN FREE BETS!
THOMMO: I think Liverpool can sustain their push for the Premier League title. They’ve surprised not only us, I mean Liverpool fans, but the rest of the country too, because they went under the radar a little bit for a few months.
There was a big question mark over our midfield going into the season.
How would they function after losing players, with Jordan Henderson and Fabinho in particular leaving so late in the transfer window.
The new players when they came in, with the exception of Dominik Szoboszlai, didn’t really hit the ground running but they’ve grown into the team and into Jurgen Klopp’s system and, in doing so, have brought this new-found energy to the squad.
What has really worked for Liverpool this season is that the press is back, we’re seeing that high intensity yet again.
The young legs in the teams now have helped to get that working again.
Klopp’s use of substitutions this season has been magnificent.
We’ve seen Liverpool on numerous occasions winning late on in games even when they haven’t been playing great but a sub, or two, have come on and been the difference maker.
That way of playing is the making of champions so I think Liverpool have a great chance of winning the title.
If there was two teams who you thought could go on runs between now and the end of the season it has to be Liverpool and Manchester City.
I’m a great admirer of City because to do it once is hard enough but to do it as many times as City have now is something quite special.
It’s be a great contest between now and the end of the season with Klopp going head-to-head with Pep Guardiola once again.
- Liverpool to Win the Premier League is currently priced at 23/10.
- Shoot on over to Paddy Power News for the best Football Betting Tips & News
- Premier League: Betting tips, fixtures and results for 2023/24 season
- #Whatoddspaddy: Our special markets for the remainder of the Premier League Season
- Premier League Sack Race: Which Manager is Next to get the Boot in 2023/24?
- Introducing Paddy’s Bet Builder All Stars! Sign up now to bag a free bet & win prizes
- Paddy’s Hall of Fame: 8-fold footie acca nets a mammoth £17k off £5 stake for Paddy Power punter