First there was England’s goal in the 1966 final that did/didn’t cross the line (depending on where you’re from), then came the Hand of God, Henry’s handball, Lampard’s Ghost Goal… the list goes on.
Unfortunately Paddy’s Justice Payout wasn’t around back then to right the World Cup wrongs of years gone by but this is 2022 people. Times have changed.
When we sense something that just doesn’t sit right, our bean counters hit the big red button to at least right the wrong from a punting point of view.
And given the way the tournament was awarded and all the controversy surrounding the Qatar World Cup in 2022, was it any surprise that we’ve had to deliver sporting justice during this tournament?
⚽️We have paid out all first goalscorer, anytime goalscorer and 1+ shot on target bets on Ronaldo after he looked to have scored a goal before it was officially awarded to Bruno Fernandes.
T&Cs apply. pic.twitter.com/Y94KyNAzDi
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) November 28, 2022
We’ve already returned all bets on Karim Benzema after the France striker was ruled out of the tournament, and after controversy struck in Portugal’s 2-0 win over Uruguay in Qatar on Monday night it was time to act.
The world’s best-known free agent Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to – or at least claimed to – get his head on a Bruno Fernandes cross to put his country in front in the Group H showdown.
Despite Ronaldo originally being given the goal during the match, it was since officially awarded to his ex-Man Utd pal Bruno instead.
But who are we to argue with CR7? And even more so, we certainly don’t want to be draw the ire of Piers Morgan.
So, we’ve hit the magic JUSTICE PAYOUT button and dished out the cash on Ronaldo getting the goal.
It’ll cost us north of £€800k paying out on the ‘goal’. So, probably about as much as Ronaldo will earn a week at his next club, then…
The payout applies to all first goalscorer, anytime goalscorer and 1+ shot on target bets on Ronaldo across both our retail shops and online. The Turbo Power Price of Ronaldo & Darwin Nunez to both have a shot on target also applies.
The ‘goal’ won’t count towards his Golden Boot tally, but we will credit free bets for any customers who backed him in our pre-tournament Top Scorer offer. Full T&Cs apply.
WORLD CUP BETTING TIPS TODAY
- PETER CROUCH: My England v Wales tips
- PHIL THOMPSON: Here’s my England v Wales Bet Builder tips
- Here’s 4 Bet Builder selections for your England v Wales free bet
- Bet Builder tips: Here’s a multi-match 19/1 pick for Group A’s final games
- World Cup betting tips: Here’s Thommo’s deadly double for Tuesday
WEDNESDAY WORLD CUP BETTING TIPS
- Thommo’s 21/1 World Cup Betting Tips for the Group D deciders
- Here’s our Bet Builder tips for the Group D double-header
- Mbappe the man in our 6/1 France v Tunisia betting tips
- PHIL THOMPSON: My 12/1 Poland v Argentina Bet Builder tips
- There’s goals galore in our 9/1 Saudi Arabia v Mexico betting tips