If you never have a dream, how are you ever going to have a dream come true?
This Stupid Punt section of the Blog is all about highlighting some of those loopy-looking bets at monster odds. All that’s required to make them click is a little bit of brains, a little bit of balls and a massive dollop of luck. Here on the Paddy Power Blog we’re all dreamers.
There’s a place in the Punting Hall of Fame at stake if you can pull it off. You are the people who make the crazy look inspired and while you have the bravery to toe the line between ridiculous and optimistic, we can only stand back and applaud. Here are three of the most outrageous bets we’ve dug out of Paddy’s Premier League book this week and a few stats to try to back them up.
Romelu Lukaku to score first and Everton to beat Arsenal 4-3
One punter is on at 250/1
- This fixture has been played 204 times in history, and just three times has it finished 4-3 (that’s a 1.47 per cent strike rate). Unfortunately for Everton fans, Arsenal have won all of those 4-3 games in 1928, 1963, and 2002.
- Everton have only ever won one Premier League game 4-3, and that was away to Derby County in March 2002. David Unsworth, Alan Stubbs, Niclas Alexanderson and Duncan Ferguson were the men on the scoresheet for the Blues.
- Romelu Lukaku has bagged 18 goals from just 99 shots this season, giving him a conversion rate of almost a goal every five shots he takes.
Raheem Sterling to score first and Manchester City to beat Manchester United 5-1
One punter is on at 350/1
- Manchester City have beaten Manchester United 5-1 once before in their history. That was a Division One clash at Maine Road on September 23 1989.
- Raheem Sterling has four goals for Manchester City this season – and they have come against Aston Villa (2), Sunderland and Watford.
- The Citizens have lost 5-1 just once in Premier League history, and that was at home to Arsenal in February 2003. Dennis Bergkamp, Robert Pires, Thierry Henry, Sol Campbell and Patrick Vieira all scored for the Gunners before Nicolas Anelka bagged a consolation for Man City.
Aleksander Mitrovic to score first and Newcastle to beat Sunderland 8-0
One punter is on at 1,500/1
- Newcastle have only ever won one Premier League game 8-0. That was at St James’ Park in September 1999 against Sheffield Wednesday, and Alan Shearer scored five to add to goals from Aaron Hughes, Kieron Dyer and Gary Speed.
- Sunderland have lost a match 8-0 in the Premier League as well. That was away to Southampton in 2014 when they managed to knock in three own goals! Graziano Pelle (2), Jack Cork, Dusan Tadic and Victor Wanyama also got on the scoresheet
- Aleksander Mitrovic has five goals for Newcastle this season, but has a conversion rate of just 8.6 per cent.