Yesterday, stories spread like wildfire that an agreement had been reached for a potential mega-bout between undefeated boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather and MMA kingpin Conor McGregor.
If the match-up was to be agreed it would probably break all pay-per-view records, merely out of sheer curiosity for some as ‘Money’ Mayweather is the heavy favourite if it were to happen. But our punters have flocked to back the Irishman and 88% of the bets we’ve taken so far have been on McGregor.
The rumours of a fight announcement got so strong Mayweather was forced to respond to them last night and, of course, The Notorious One had something to say about it.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 14, 2017
Posting a statement on his Twitter account Mayweather said needed to address “several rumours around media”.
He said, “Let the record show, there hasn’t been any deals made in regards to a fight between myself and any other fighters.”
The former pound-for-pound legend also added: “I am happily retired and enjoying life at this time.”
Of course that wasn’t the end of matter as within a couple of minutes of Floyd’s tweet McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh jumped on the bandwagon to tease fans some more.
— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) February 14, 2017
Never being short of something to say McGregor didn’t take long himself to ridicule the boxing champion through his social media.
The Dubliner is said to be in Las Vegas to take part in negotiations for the fight and claimed Mayweather had “retired” because of his presence in the city.
I am in Las Vegas. Floyd has retired on my arrival. pic.twitter.com/z9EcxBJaDr
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) February 15, 2017
You think it’s all over, well it’s not! In the last hour Mayweather has hit back at McGregor telling him to “take care of your business with the UFC” so they can talk about a fight.
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 15, 2017
Whatever about the Twitter beef, it now looks like a fight between the two is closer than ever.